Open Source RDBMS - Seamless, Scalable, Stable and Free

한국어 | Login |Register

author

Post subject: CUBRID MySQL PHP Compatibility library

IP: *.254.3.158

views: 54

Hi,
I red documentation about this library, but I do not undersatnd WHY Cubrid developer do not create a library with the same function (name and parameter/s) to use current PHP application with Cubrid instead MySql.
Than the layer, instead of
1) my php application developed for Mysql
2) Php Mysql library
3) Mysql

the new layer

2) CUBRID MySQL BRidge (here present the funciont mysql_ binded for Cubrid that call CUBRID MySQL PHP Compatibility library or call directly Cubrid)
3) CUBRID MySQL PHP Compatibility library
3) Cubrid

This is a real case : I'm a normal user of Joomla (for example) and I 'm NOT a developer and I want to use CUBRID instead MYsql.
Ok, not problem .. You do not touch NOTHING in your source code (remember that I'm not a developer and I'd not understand WHATI si a connector for db or resulset or...), load Joomla, load Cubrid MYsql PHP bridge and use it.
I understand that this task is not easy but; for my point of view, is a main key for Cubrid to grow up fastly

This is my opinion
Thank you

[Level:3]eye

# Post subject:Re: CUBRID MySQL PHP Compatibility library

IP: *.130.102.218

Hi quartex,

You are absolutely right! This is what we also want to have! But as you know we are database developers, moreover open source developers. We highly rely on our Developers Community to build new web apps or port existing to work with CUBRID. PHP, Ruby, Perl, and Python libraries have to be developed in the most easiest and convenient for the users way, so that anyone could start using PHP/... with CUBRID right out of the box. This is what we truly want, quartex!

However, to build better libraries our CUBRID community developers have to be active. The current version of PHP library for CUBRID has been developed by our open source community, developers outside the core CUBRID developers, so, this is what they came up with. We are glad we have at least this solution for now. But we will try to do our best to build better options. I am sure that if our community will grow more people would like to use the new MySQL compatible PHP library, which means there will be developers to build them.

Yes, we could share our resources to build most necessary libraries, but in that case we would hinder the development of CUBRID database. CUBRID is much faster than other databases when it comes to Read-intensive transactions. So, we want CUBRID be faster at all areas and be compatible with other databases, and the good news is that we are approaching to that target very rapidly.

So, I think that we have to make more noise about CUBRID, so that the global developers hear about us and gather together to develop apps and libraries for CUBRID. So, what do you think about this, quartex? And I agree that this kind of issues are very important for CUBRID's success.

[Level:0]quartex

IP: *.254.3.169

"eye"...

So, I think that we have to make more noise about CUBRID, so that the global developers hear about us and gather together to develop apps and libraries for CUBRID. So, what do you think about this, quartex? And I agree that this kind of issues are very important for CUBRID's success.

Yes eye, I'm agree. In italy we say "The right man for the right job" :D
I'm a mysql DBA and Developer certified for my work from 4 years (after ten years of Oracle use) and I'm start to "explore" Cubrid from 15 days.
This is a reaaallyy good product and I can say that your works is very good, the right mix to performance and useful function.

Thanks a lot for all

[Level:0]mr-rienzi

IP: *.92.133.66

Hi quartex.

I tried to understand what do you mean by:

"quartex"...
I red documentation about this library, but I do not undersatnd WHY Cubrid developer do not create a library with the same function (name and parameter/s) to use current PHP application with Cubrid instead MySql.
Than the layer, instead of
2) Php Mysql library
3) Mysql

and I have to confess that I have some doubts...
...because Cubrid MySQL Compatibility Library is EXACTLY what are you describing! (unless I don't really understand what exactly are you describing)

Did you took a look at the library...?
Or maybe you could please help us understand better, if there's something still unclear...?

Thank you!
/Rienzi

[Level:3]eye

IP: *.130.102.218

Hi mr-rienzi,

I understood quartex as following:

He proposed what if we provide same PHP functions to connect to CUBRID. For instance, in order to connect to MySQL, you write:
mysql_connect();

So, what quartex was saying is to connect to CUBRID using the same mysql_connect() function which is rewritten in PHP Library for CUBRID. You know, kind of easy for beginners who have zero knowledge in PHP, thus don't want to mess up with the code. Of course, this is ideal case, though not rational and logical. So, we implemented CUBRID's own PHP functions, as any normal database system developers do.

Here are some good tutorials to get started with PHP and CUBRID.

1. PHP Tutorial in CUBRID Documentation. Here you will find the full PHP Tutorial which will guide you trough the installation stage and provide with the sample codes ready fo copy and paste.
2. Install PHP. This tutorial will explain where you can download PHP from and how you can easily install on both Windows and Linux operating systems.
3. Install PHP Library for CUBRID.
4. PHP Sample Codes.
5. How to Port MySQL Compatible PHP Applications to CUBRID.
6. Finally, Video Tutorial: How to use Apache DdlUtils & Scriptella to migrate databases to CUBRID.

Hope these tutorials will provide a good start with PHP for CUBRID.

[Level:0]quartex

IP: *.254.3.169

"eye"...
Hi mr-rienzi,

I understood quartex as following:

He proposed what if we provide same PHP functions to connect to CUBRID. For instance, in order to connect to MySQL, you write:
mysql_connect();

So, what quartex was saying is to connect to CUBRID using the same mysql_connect() function which is rewritten in PHP Library for CUBRID..

Hi eye,
you understand very well my idea !
Ciao

You are either using a very old browser or a browser that is not supported.
In order to browse cubrid.org you need to have one of the following browsers:

Internet Explorer: Mozilla Firefox: Google Chrome: