Open Source RDBMS - Seamless, Scalable, Stable and Free

한국어 | Login |Register

author

Post subject: Italian translation

IP: *.254.3.169

views: 1194

Hi,
Browsing the code I see the language directory where is present english and Korean... eventually do you need an italian translation of it (with a bit of time) ?
(Sorry I wrote in this section because in Internazionalization is not present a general index but only language specific code)

[Level:3]eye

# Post subject:Re: Italian translation

IP: *.130.102.218

Hello quartex!

Once again thank you for your activity and desire to make CUBRID better! We really appreciate that! Also, I moved your post from the General Discussion forum to this newly created Italian sub forum. If you wish, I can make you this Italian Language Forum Moderator.

Concerning the Italian translation, oh, YEAH! We really do need Italian language for CUBRID. Until now there were no initiators who would help us translate and create the Italian language pack for CUBRID. We have to things to translate:

1. CUBRID application Internal Messages like error messages, warnings, etc.
2. CUBRID Documentation.

quartex, do you think it's possible for you to begin the Italian translation project? We would provide you all the files and links for that. And, of course, your name will be showed up all over the place as one of the Major CUBRID Contributors. I strongly believe that if you start this project, so many Italian developers would notice your accomplishments and they would join your team for sure. You would be the window for CUBRID to Italians. I believe they will like CUBRID. Don't you think so?

[Level:0]quartex

IP: *.31.149.83

Ciao,
yes I think so.

I think to have the best result :

1) translate program messages
2) translate the manual

Translate manuals is a long task for one man (and busy with two childs too :D ) and have italian messages inside the program will be a good start.
What do you think ?

Eye
Only a think, I'm honest and I do not beleive to have so many time to moderate the italian forum now.
Sorry

Hi quartex,

Thanks for honesty! :) Indeed, you are right! Starting with the internal messages is more realistic and more valuable contribution. I hope most people can still read and use English, but they would be very happy if they were provided with the customized approach like receiving the warnings in their own language.

So, quartex, you are a great man!

The internal messages can be found in the msg/ directory at CUBRID 3.0 branch directory. There you can see different languages and encodings. If you enter en_US directory, there are 6 files. All except Makefile.am need to be translated.

There are two ways you can translate and upload your accomplishments:

1. Download the language files to your computer and then upload the translated versions to this Italian Language forum. Once you open any page you will see View, Download, Annotate links. So you can click on Download and save the language files on your computer. When you finish, you can upload the file directly in this forum.

2. Subscribe to CUBRID Project at Sourceforge.net and use Subversion Controlling Software like TortoiseSVN to directly create it_IT subdirectory inside msg/ directory and start committing your translations. This is the best way to do and more professional. Why? Because if some other Italian developers would like to join your team, then they could also directly start translating the same files. This would accelerate the work. In this case, if you have SF.net account, please let me know. I will add you to the mailing list.

What do you think? Which way is more convenient?

Attachment:

Ciao,
I'm using Eclipse 3.4 (which is the same that use to develop with java from 6 years) and with SVN client I synch the repository trunk/msg/ folder succefully.
Only a thing taht I have to config : wich text file encoding is used for source (the default for Eclipse is Cp1252)
Can I suppose to create a folder it_IT ?

Thanks a lot for all

Sorry, I see now for the folder it_IT now.
If you can say to me for text file encoding ...
Thanks a lot

Hi quartex,

First, in my previous post I provided you a link to trunk directory. Actually this is a directory for the last ready built for CUBRID. We have to modify not in trunk directory but in branches. So, change your directory, please, to CUBRID 3.0 branch. Sorry once again for the inconvenience. I will also change the link in the previous post.

Concerning the file encoding, it's always recommended to encode in UTF-8 when dealing with foreign languages especially if they have Unicode characters. As an example you can take the sibling Korean language directory. This should also give some clue.

Everybody here is so excited to have the Italian translation. So why don't you commit all your changes as frequent as possible so that all the developers could see your changes?

Anyway, once again Great Thanks to you, man!

Hi,
I read only now for the wrong branch.
I worked on trunk translate (the wrong one) is possibel to make a difference from trunk and branch /msg to add/modify only newer and modify english message.
I have a problem with svn on my pc then I upload the archive with some files on it (all files excpet utils.msg for now was translated)
Can you check it with developer and put it on the branch please ?
I do not translate so much messages before and I do my best :roll: (it's not easy task without know the exact context where message is used)
I travel for my work a couple of days and then my translate job does not continue soon.
I hope that this will be a good start point for italian version ;)

Ciao

Attachment:

Hello quartex,

That's excellent job you did!!! Woooow!!! So fast!

I must say there is one problem with the files you attached. You seem to have saved them in ANSI encoding which does not display your Italian language characters correctly. There are "?" question marks instead. Could you please save the files again in UTF-8 encoding?

Anyway, thank you very much for your help! Once I get the correctly encoded files I will commit your changes to CUBRID 3.0 Repository branch. And... I will post on CUBRID Blog about your invaluable contribution to CUBRID Project. Do you want me to write your real name or just nickname? If you want you can send the brief information about yourself as a PM (Private Message) in this CUBRID Forum or send me email to esen|cubrid|com. I will make sure everyone hears about you and your great effort to make CUBRID available for Italian users!

Once again thank you very much! I will be waiting for your UTF-8 encoded files.

eye.

IP: *.254.3.158

Hi
All files (I added utils.msg) with Unicode format
Ciao

Attachment:

Thank you quartex,

I will upload them to CUBRID branch and will let you know.

In the meantime enjoy your life!

eye.

Hi quartex,

I have committed your changes to CUBRID 3.0 branch under /msg/it_IT directory. If you want to make some editing, please checkout the files from the repository.

Also, here is a new blog about your contribution.

Good Luck!

[Level:0]maxdon

IP: *.166.213.4

Hi,

There is one small issue with the commit. The svn repository on Sourceforge is currently used as a mirror of NHN's repository (the cubrid and cubrid-manager directories). The mirroring is done automatically by a tool which cannot handle conflicts (which might happen if the trees diverge). I think it would be better to rollback the change, submit the contribution to the NHN repository and wait for it to be synchronized back to Sourceforge (this happens daily).

Another strong argument for committing to the NHN svn repository is that all the releases are done off that tree. So if the translation is intended for inclusion in an official release, it would be better to submit to that repository.

Thanks,

Max

maxdon,

Do you think there will definitely be some problems with syncing? What kind of problems there might be? Do I, as an author, have to rollback or you can do that for me?

Btw, have you heard we are planning to move the development of CUBRID from NHN repository to SF.net after CUBRID 2008 R3.0 will roll out?

Hi quartex,

In our previous conversation at Broker protocol compatibility topic, you asked about how CUBRID is planning to penetrate the market. And I replied you with the following:

"eye"...
...We believe that in order to reach higher CUBRID penetration we first have to increase its awareness. We have to spread more information about CUBRID so that everyone knows it. If they hear about CUBRID and learn how powerful and fast it is, then they will start using. So, if you have other ideas how to reach higher CUBRID penetration, let us know. We will be very grateful for your advice!

In addition to this, you know what I found? I found out that one of the major traffic sources to http://www.cubrid.org site is Wikipedia. Every month hundreds of visitors come to CUBRID home page from Wikipedia. So I taught if we provide CUBRID pages in other languages like Italian, Russian, Portuguese at the beginning, users would easily find introductory information about CUBRID in their own language, which would help them better understand CUBRID, which in tern would encourage them decide to try it. What do you think about it? Today I have started to translate English CUBRID page at Wikipedia into Russian. I think I should finish it and will post about this on CUBRID Blog. Do you think you can help us translating CUBRID page at Wikipedia into Italian?

Hi,
why not ?
when you finished the page, with a bit of time, I can translate it and pass to you.

Ciao

Hi quartex,

I have finished translating CUBRID page at Wikipedia into Russian. Here are all CUBRID pages:

English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUBRID
Russian: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUBRID
Korean: http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUBRID

There is a Romanian page also being translated now. It should be ready by the end of this week. So, please refer to English version of CUBRID page.

If you need any help, let me know. I will be very glad to assist you!

Attachment:

Hi eye,
take a look in file when I placed english and italian version

Attachment:

Hi quartex,

I have created a new CUBRID page in Italian language at Wikipedia. Please take a look and if there is something you think would be nice to correct and translate more, just create Wikipedia account and click on Edit button on the top right corner of CUBRID page in Italian.

Thank you very much for your great help! I will post about CUBRID page in Italian in CUBRID Blog.

By the way, quartex, do you have Facebook account? If you do, become a fan of CUBRID in Facebook. Everyday I post news and updates about CUBRID over there. You can always get the latest information.

IP: *.254.3.158

Hi eye,
the page was removed from Wiki :shock: , I do not why !

You are either using a very old browser or a browser that is not supported.
In order to browse cubrid.org you need to have one of the following browsers:

Internet Explorer: Mozilla Firefox: Google Chrome: